Sunday, May 2, 2010

San Diego Visit - Spring 2010

On March 25th, we all headed out to sunny SoCal! My oh my - this trip was so needed by us! We needed a break from all that kept us so busy here in Maryland! It was Shawn's Spring Break from school and we had a great trip! The only thing that was missing was Uncle Greg. The boys love to see their uncle and he is the best uncle! He is in OCS in Newport. We are writing him and wishing him the very best. He is doing nothing less than what we would expect from him. He is president of his class and we are looking forward to seeing him graduate the end of May.

During our trip, we spent a few days with Matt's sister and her family who live in Blythe, CA and made a day trip out to Phoenix from there to see my grandmother. We took the boys to Seaworld to see Shamu and we were out there for Easter Sunday. Which, if any of you don't watch the news, Mexico sustained a 7.2 earthquake that Easter Sunday and we could feel it in San Diego!

I was in the kitchen with my mom helping her make an apple pie for dessert. My parents live only a few miles from Mirimar and I thought I heard I low lying military helicopter flying over the house. Nothing new for where they live - but this sounded REALLY low! Before I could ask my mom if they flew that low sometimes - I looked up and saw my mom's glass bay window in the kitchen vibrating.

She immediatley said "Earthquake!" and ran out of the kitchen and grabbed Shawn and Ethan and stood in a doorway in an interior room. All the while - I was still stanidng in the kitchen saying : "WOW - so this is what an earthwquake feels like...huh." For any of you who really know me - that is just like me. lol. It was enough to feel the ground moving but nothing fell and thankfully none of us were injured.

Mom said that they get earthquakes quite often - but many of them are so small that they are not felt. This one was quite big for San Diego. 2.8? I can't quite remember - but I told my parents that I can finally say that I have experienced EVERYTHING about California!

SHAMU!






SEAWORLD!









Now, the following picture was taken because Shawn thought it was the COOLEST thing to go for a drive with Grandpa in his fast sportscar! He was so excited! He got to sit in the front seat and they drove all the way down to the sailboat that day to get it ready for our day out.



My parents have always been "boaters". I remember growing up in Florida and they had a Hobie-cat. We were always out on that! In Sitka, we had a Sea Ray powerboat - the name of that boat was called "Sitka Vice" because it looked like the boat off Miami Vice. lol. Well, it is no different for them now. They have a 32-foot sailboat and a 25-foot Sea Ray powerboat. I guess matt and I have taken a liking to the water as we now have a boat of our own.

Their Sailboat - The Wind Wisp - is so relaxing. Here are some pics of our most recent trip out on their boat. You won't see many if at all of the two kids on deck - they loved staying down in the cabin to play and eat!

Yikes! Im sailing! My dad is a very good teacher.





Matt and Ethan hangin out.


My parents.


Mommy and Shawn.


San Diego.


Should I toss him?




Matt & E-man


What a fun day! All smiles!

No comments: